Menu
User Avatar Image

I'd rather wait longer for season 2 and actually have control over the story.

posted by GreenFX on - last edited - Viewed by 6.6K users

The Walking Dead game series has huge potential, but it pains me to see such a great storytelling platform wasted on linear narratives, I want my choices to actually alter what happens in the game, otherwise: what's the point?

The game makes a point to tell us that our choices matter, this is the reason I bought the game - but when the ending and characters pretty much stay the same; I feel like i've been ripped off.

It's simple as that, and the 400 days episode did nothing to get my hopes up for season 2: I chose not to get into the car, the car drives off as zombies overwhelm me, then it reverses, leaving me no choice but to get in and continue with the set story?

Quit wasting time on these useless situations which lead nowhere, why not just have periods of linear gameplay, split up by around 3 situations each episode which drastically affect the environment and characters?

Or keep the same linear gameplay, but half-way through the series allow players to make a choice between 3 paths to take, then depending on our attitudes to the characters we take those paths with, depends on who deceives us; leading to 6 different endings in total.

You guys have the power to change gaming for the better, you're on a huge platform now and the industry needs change; or else we will all truly become the walking dead.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In reply to TinyCarlos

I too agree, I believe I have commented on this thread in the past...but I still agree. Would have loved to have the choice to actually go with Lilly and Clementine in the RV.

link

I don't even remember that choice. what happens if you agree to go?

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED

You get betrayed and left.

Yes, the illusion of choice is powerful, and I won't deny that every choice felt real to me, even after I realized the story was pretty linear and had even read some spoilers. The fact remains, however, that most of us saw past that illusion in Episode 3, after the death of Doug/Carley. The times when you have to make a decision ARE effective, but I would always feel disappointed afterwards. The minute you are presented with the chance to save Ben or let him die, you know his number is up. It's always like that. In the moment, the choice feels like it matters, but afterwards, you remember it doesn't.

• If that garbage 400 days tells us anything it's you can expect to see everything stripped from season 2 that made seasone 1

good. Why make something that creates exactly what critics wrongly accusse the first 5 episodes of being if they understand that?

• In reply to LeeClementineKenny

If that garbage 400 days tells us anything it's you can expect to see everything stripped from season 2 that made seasone 1 good.

link

@LeeClementineKenny Pray tell what you mean by "everything...that made season 1 good." What exactly is it that 400 days did that was so offensive to Season 1's image?

And FYI, they were purposefully experimenting with things in 400 days because they wanted to try something different since they knew that Season 2 would have pretty much the same formula as Season 1. So no.

• The first day of winter is December 21. That means Telltale can release it in December. #TrollTaleGames. I like when you can fight in TWD add more fighting. The way the controls for the game are makes it better in a way. I'd rather get in a fight in TWD than in some Rockstar game.

• You people really need to stop setting unrealistic expectations for a video game and just wait. You will never have full control over a video game's story for a few years until technology gets better. there's no way to have twenty billion different outcomes including your characters hairstyle and taste in wine. Just give it up. Or you'll end up like the 12 year olds in the GTA V community.

• In reply to WalkingDeadFan1911

The first day of winter is December 21. That means Telltale can release it in December. #TrollTaleGames. I like when you can fight in TWD add more fighting.

link

I really hope the fighting is like the new combat system in The Wolf Among Us. It's super intense.

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED
    In reply to stevean2

You people really need to stop setting unrealistic expectations for a video game and just wait. You will never have full control over a video game's story for a few years until technology gets better.

link

That's ridiculous. It's more than possible for them to make a game where our choices actually matter.

• I'd rather wait longer and have the SHOWSTOPPER bugs from season ONE fixed. Currently have the "Can't Rewind" and "Blank Stats" bugs.

Yes, I have the latest patch, which supposedly fixed that.

Add Comment