Menu
User Avatar Image

Is Telltale's new IP Game of Thrones?

posted by Dildor on - last edited by Vainamoinen - Viewed by 3.1K users

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/telltale-is-developing-a-game-of-thrones-game

http://kotaku.com/report-the-walking-dead-developers-are-doing-a-game-of-1469274160

Telltale Games, the studio behind the critically-acclaimed The Walking Dead game series, is now working on at least one Game of Thrones video game, IGN reports.P

That's a perfect fit—and undoubtedly cool news to anyone who enjoys the murdery HBO series. IGN says they don't know when or where the game(s) would be set, but Telltale has a great track record, and although there haven't been any good Game of Thrones video games yet, who wouldn't love the thought of an episodic adventure series in Westeros filled with terrible, terrible choices?

Season two of The Walking Dead game series is slated to start later this year. No word on when this Game of Thrones game would launch, or how many games it would consist of, but the pieces fit. In a recent Reddit AMA, Telltale co-founder Dan Connors hinted that they had something big in the works: "We will be working on a few licenses that definitely fall into our dream IP scenario and we can't wait to announce those," he wrote.P

We've reached out to Telltale for comment on this rumor, and will update should we hear back from them.P

UPDATE: From Telltale exec Steve Allison: "We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment."

What do you guys think, legit?

51 Comments
  • Game of thrones is great series both book and tv show so I hope this is true

• I would be looking forward to this. I have read all the books and am waiting GRR Martin to finish this thing. The show is good too, but has its downsides.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@soundwave145 wrote: will this game of thrones game delay the wolf and the walking dead?

It seems like its taking some time between each episode, now they are working on a third game.

First of all, right now the Game of Thrones game is just a rumor and nothing else.

Second, here's the big surprise. Telltale is probably presently in an equal design stage for a whole lot of potential franchises. I'd estimate dozens of game ideas where they're trying to pitch a concept to the IP owners, could acquire the license, and so on. They can't just do that when they finish a game, their minds always have to be at work for their next project. Heck, they announced five new franchises during the run of Back to the Future.

This is all completely normal for any company and doesn't inhibit the development of present releases.

• User Avatar Image
      Jennifer Moderator

Vainamoinen wrote:

Telltale is probably presently in an equal design stage for a whole lot of potential franchises. I'd estimate dozens of game ideas where they're trying to pitch a concept to the IP owners, could acquire the license, and so on. They can't just do that when they finish a game, their minds always have to be at work for their next project. Heck, they announced five new franchises during the run of Back to the Future.

This is all completely normal for any company and doesn't inhibit the development of present releases.

This is very true. It's the nature of the video game industry, especially when you are dealing with licensed games. Those pitches require prototypes (The Walking Dead started out as a zombie prototype made under Telltale's pilot program). There are also a lot of pitches by Telltale that don't get made into games (probably the most well known of which is Scott Pilgrim).

Also, it's true that development of one game doesn't have any impact on any of the other releases, since they're handled by different teams. Telltale has stated in the past that once a project is greenlit, a small team with only a handful of people is on that project. Then once it moves into full production after it's been announced, the team gets larger so that it can get the game finished. This game is just a rumor now, and hasn't even been announced. If it is true that Telltale is making a Game of Thrones series, the team is likely still very small since it hasn't even gone into announcement stage, let alone release stage.

• If this is true, I would be curious to see who the protagonist would be, what the story would be, when it takes place, etc.

I really hope they take a page from TWD and try to develop their own story with their own characters, or else minor characters from the main storyline, with the larger plot of Song of Ice and Fire as a backdrop. To a far greater extent than either TWaU or TWD, the scale of Westeros and the sheer number of characters and depth of characterization lends itself delightfully to a team of talented writers who want to tell their own story in an established world.

• User Avatar Image
    Niels BANNED

If this is true i'm so hyped !! I love Game of Thrones and i bet TTG can make an excelent game of it . I hope we play with Stark family , probably would be very different from what we've seen before. Maybe we get to play with various characters ?

well , I hope they release it after TWAU ( if the rumor is true )

• Seriously, how much of my money does Telltale want?

• Meh. Assuming this is true ("reliable sources" is the journalistic equivalent of "my uncle who works at Nintendo"), I can't see myself getting too hyped. Maybe it's because I never got into A Game of Thrones.

To be honest, I've just gotten kind of jaded with Telltale in general lately. The Walking Dead has changed them, and not for the better in my opinion. I'll finish The Wolf Among Us since I've paid for it (where is Episode 2, anyway?), but after that, unless Telltale gets their shit together and does something super-amazing (HINT: An interactive movie of any kind does not count as super-amazing), I probably won't be buying anything they do in the future.

• Honestly, I have mixed feelings about the way that HBO adapts the books, but I'm intrigued by the idea of A Song of Ice and Fire being an option for Telltale. There's a lot of potential to work with outside of the main story.

• User Avatar Image
    fusedmass BANNED

It's amazing really. I predicted, months ago. What their next game should be. They say vision is a thing no one but you could see. Yet the thread was closed after three comments, not much after thought. It's odd, the news comes from a rumor. People are actually interested and like the idea.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/50862/would-you-support-game-of-thrones-tell-tale-style

• They will have to do it from the book. Because if the do it from the tv show they would have to ask all the actors if they could use there likeness. But would orgasm if telltale did anything GOT.

Add Comment