Menu
User Avatar Image

Get help here: Savegame import issues

posted by DjNDB Moderator on - last edited - Viewed by 35.9K users

If you have issues with importing your savegames from season 1 into season 2, first make sure you know how the savegame import is supposed to work. It is explained in this FAQ. You need to start a new game in season 2 and then it should ask you to import your saves.

If it doesn't work as described, please post a description of the problem in this thread and provide the following information:

Did you play season 1 in any compatibility mode?
Did you use any workaround on your savegames in the past?
Do you still see the correct stats for all episodes in season 1?

Further please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

194 Comments
  • Hello, Just installed TWD S1 (again) and S2 from Steam, so I got back the saves of S1 I had on Steam Cloud. After recovering the saves, I disabled the cloud and restarted Steam. The saves are still not found by S2. (No compatibility mode used) Here is the file generated by the support tool : https://www.sendspace.com/file/jtml4k

• User Avatar Image
      TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Your save files for Season One look like they are all there. Can you please clarify if you have started Season One recently to make sure you have the latest updates and patches for the game necessary for importing your Season Two saves over successfully? You can also try Verifying your Game Cache (Right click game within Steam Library, and click Properties. Then go to Local Files tab and click 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'.)

If none of my suggestions are able to resolve the issue, please read over the Season Two Save Import Sticky for other suggestions on importing your Season One saves.

• hai, i had a problem with my walking dead season which is it came out with the telltale username and password, i have no idea what to do. i tried register here and verify it, and i tried to log in to the season 2.. nothing works.. any advise. thank you

• hi, i can't seem to get season 2 to recognize my season 1 save files?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/p5a5q3

• User Avatar Image

I apologize for the inconvenience. After looking over your support tool information, there doesn't seem to be any Season One save files in the proper directory. Can you please clarify if you ever altered, or moved your save files from your Season One file directory in:

/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead/

If so, did you possibly back them up to an external device?

• Forgive me, did I wrote something wrong in my post with link? I don't know if I'm to upload again

• User Avatar Image

Can you please clarify if you purchased the Telltale Games version, or the Steam version of The Walking Dead?

• it's Steam version

• User Avatar Image

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately it appears that there are no save files in the proper save file directory. I recommend contacting Steam Support for further assistance, as it seems your game did not install properly.

• Proper one is this Document/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead, right?

Ok, thanks for Your time

• Ok, I solved it. My mistake was to change installation folder od Season 1 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead" to my own "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\Season 1". I wanted to have both seasons in one folder later. Next I installed Season 2 Episode 1 in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\Season 2\Episode 1", to have both games in one place (as I decided). I thought this trick will make my life easier. But while changing destination folders for those games, it automatically changed save folder in my (not public) documents folder as well. So they were in "C:\Documents\Telltale Games\Season 1" and "C:\Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 2". Seemingly nothing suspicious, but then I realised that Season 2 actually looks for saves from Season 1 in "~Documents/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead". So (just now) I simply changed the name of the folder with saves to original one ("C:\Documents\Telltale Games\Season 1" ---> "C:\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead"), game at once located save files.

No pref.prop in game folder "default", no saves in public documents. If someone else will ever be in my place, make sure You didn't do same stupidity as I did. At least I hope it won't be trouble to have my episode 2 located save from episode 1, but it's just a problem of Future Me.

Peace.

• https://www.sendspace.com/file/bklnrr

Halp D: problems with Steam version

• User Avatar Image

After looking over your Support Tool information, there doesn't seem to be any save files in your Season One file directory in

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Stagione 1\

Can you please clarify if they are located in another folder/file location?

• Hi, I also can not find my game saves from the first one. Just that I have to start by saying that saves that I am using are not mine, having lost, I've downloaded and then placed in the directory (which I think is right, I followed the guide -> Can not Find Season 1 Save? Season 2 will look for a completed Season 1 save in the default save directory for Season 1. This directory is located in the C: \ Users \% username% \ Documents \ Telltale Games \ The Walking Dead folder on PC). I just do not see them, do not understand much ... I used the tool support anyway.

I solved.

• User Avatar Image

My apologies, after looking over your Support Tool information, all of your file directories seem to be set up properly, and you should be able to import your saves into Season Two successfully. Please make sure that you have started The Walking Dead: Season One recently to make sure that it has received the latest updates and patches to allow the save files to be read by Season Two.

You can also try Verifying Season One's Game Cache, and see if your game is missing any files.

• Hi. I recently purchased TWD: S1 and S2 from GOG.com. I have partitions on my PC so the majority of stuff is on my D:\ drive. Just finished S1, and S2 can't find the data to import.

I didn't use compatibility mode, or any savegame work-arounds, and I've still got the correct S1 stats.

TWD_support_data_pc.zip: https://www.sendspace.com/file/kltljg

• Solved: GOG automatically named the folders "The Walking Dead - Season 1" and "The Walking Dead - Season 2". I renamed them as 'The Walking Dead' and 'The Walking Dead Season Two', and it seems to be working.

• User Avatar Image

Thank you for providing the extra information on how you were able to resolve your issue. I apologize for the delayed response, and hope that you are now able to enjoy the game!

This discussion has been closed.