Menu
User Avatar Image

YOU DONT OWN THIS GAME

posted by theislandwalker on - Viewed by 9.5K users

well. the thing is i do. and now the only message i get is that i should go online to buy the game. whats my next step? the game still shows in my library on telltales website, and i certainly still have the charge on my card.

The last time i faced a terrible launch such as this it was diablo 3, an unfortunately online always game. whats your excuse? im sure im not in the minority of people who dont have endless time to play games, and i was planning to use my 1 day off this week for that. Should i ask for a refund? im sure ill love your product, just maybe someone else wants me to jump through less hoops to play it and they deserve my money.

65 Comments
  • User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

If you are getting a log in error, it is only happening to a small number of people, and we are currently looking into the issue. If you are getting a 'You do not own the game' message, this may be an issue with your registry. Please open a command window. (Below are instructions on how to open a command window)

Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question (to confirm the question, type and press enter):

REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher"

Please then try launching The Walking Dead again.

After you delete the registry, if you get the log in error, we are currently looking into it and hope to have a solution in the near future.

• Please stop copypasting everywhere, IT'S NOT A F*CKING registry issue. Thank you.

1. The command you wrote is wrong. It should be REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher" for it to work.
      2. It doesn't work regardless. The issue remains and I'm growing impatient.
    • You're going to make me really, REALLY mad if you post this crap again. I already did that. It's not me (and everyone else). It's you. GET ONTO IT AND FIX IT.

• I actually think this could a be a reg issue for some. It was for me.

I followed the above instructions:

• Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter

• Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question (to confirm the question, type and press enter):

• REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher/p>

I assume many are running a 64bit, if so you will have to delete it from the 64bit reg:

• Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter

• Paste - %systemroot%\syswow64\regedit

• Then go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games" and delete the 'launcher' folder.

Try firing it up again and see if it works. Costs nothing to try and this worked for me.

• OK. I just tried this and worked. So it might work to fix the issue for some.

I will say that having the same launch issues with The Wolf Among Us has left a very negative impression of telltale games. I love their games, but not your online service.

• i got it working but now it wont find my saved choices from season one and 400 that i thankfully got on steam

• Same problem here. Getting real tired of this.

• Tried that and its says the system was unable to find the file??

• i'm having the same issue. the only thing i have to say about the launch is: why should i log into an account if it's an offline only game? it's freaking stupid. period. telltale, please, just take it off. if i downloaded the game is because i bought it. sorry to say this, but you won't stop piracy by doing that.

• Lol in the near future....You mean when season 3 is released??? :PPP

• Have this going on as well. My guess is that telltale is having all the accounts "Enabled" or something to be able to play the game. They would be "disabled" before launch so that people can't somehow play it beforehand.

It's most likely that this gets sorted out within a few hours (hopefully). I would also like to note that I haven't gotten an email from telltale yet, so maybe that has something to do with getting enabled

• We are all having the issue of the game telling us that we didn't buy the game, so for us to get a quick resolution, we need to get the message where Telltales Games can see it. So please Facebook and Tweet at them, because they are watching that kinda stuff hardcore today to see reactions.

• Thanl you TeltaleMike, it worked for me. Thanks a lot you saved my day:)

• The game works for me!

This discussion has been closed.