Menu
User Avatar Image

Another half-assed "Your choices matter, really!" game from Telltale.

posted by GreenFX on - last edited - Viewed by 12.3K users

Takes you guys all year to start giving us new WD episodes, yet we get perhaps the most linear game on the market when it arrives.

I can't believe you have got away with fraudulently telling players that their choices matter, let alone making such a short episode which sugar coated the most generic plot yet.

You could have used this opportunity to do something revolutionary, instead we get the most predictable sequel in the world which is just an awkward mess to play.

The decision to make us play as Clementine is the most limiting thing you could have done, there's two choices that gave you with gameplay: cut out fight sequences altogether, or give a little girl some incredibly realistic strength.

I see you picked the dumb option.

If you're going to force us down a specific path, make the plot GOOD.

The animations still suck, the exploring is slow, the choices are meaningless, action sequences have poor button response so that players have to redo things to extend gameplay time.

It sucks, you deserve that 6/10 from GameSpot. I wondered why it was so cheap for a season pass, now I know that you're self aware of your own failure to make something fun; you're cashing in already.

Edit: more complaints and grievances:

As a user mentioned below, the whole campfire "puzzle" what the hell was that? You could have made the areas MUCH bigger too, could have made the camp bigger and allowed us to find certain objects that could have been used to make things easier later in the game.. Nope! It's not rocket science, this is one of the least challenging games i've played in my life.

An infant could beat this game.

Try and get in the house!

Pro tip: walk to the furthest away entrance to the house, we want this to take you as long as possible, then press A

You could have allowed us to get out the shed without a hammer for instance, have us walk around then THINK... Hmmm.. I need something to get under the house, if we missed it the first time.. We backtrack to the shed and pick up the hammer, THOSE are the sort of things you should be doing to extend the playtime, not giving us action sequences that we have to repeat 3 times to beat.

..and the zombie thing in the shed was so stupid, since when have you seen a zombie get down on it's stomach and crawl through a hole, despite how dumb that was.. It was extremely predictable, I could have written a better plot if you gave me half an hour.

This doesn't do the first season justice at all, which at times had intelligent puzzle solving and a plot with many twists and turns. Now we get "Guess who everybody! They're not dead!"

No replay value. At. All.

158 Comments
  • Well, a couple things:

First, the games give choice in the dialogue, and the outcome is (usually) your relationship with other people. It was this way in S1, and there will be more time in S2 to explore your choices.

Second, S1 Season Pass was $20 too (surprised no one else mentioned this yet).

Third, I agree it was kinda linear at times. You had no idea of the urgency of your arm, at least I thought you could last the night. And why didn't they take your knife?

• Choices do matter. EVEN the little ones. I noticed that when you teach clem to curse or not in episode one effects this episode too, she'll swear or wont. I know it's a "Little" choice, but it goes to show how it's effecting this season. You're judgemental. People like you piss me off. Wait till the full game is out before judging it.

• Yeah, it's more like watching a movie than playing a game. No challenges, no puzzles, but still enjoyable to watch.

• Look at the slide for "Amid the Ruins". Discussion over. Clementine wins.

• My, someone's cranky.

Relax and let things play out for now. We're only one episode into the season, and as I recall, S1E1 itself was hardly a marvel of gameplay mechanics and storytelling. There are flaws in this game, certainly, but no worse than any other TT game (including TWD S1) has suffered.

• Man I'm not going to touch the linear argument this season. I just cannot believe that everyone from season 1 is still saying but wait choices will matter...eventually! Like every episode last season the mantra was wait till you see more, wait till the end. And then instead of owning up to it, it changed to wait till next season they will matter in season 2. I call bullshit. TTG did what they wanted to do, capitalize on the franchise. I promised I wouldn't buy season 2 because of the lies and I didn't. It was SO much more satisfying to watch a walkthrough. Honestly. whoever said interactive movie click to proceed to next phase....dead on. I won't support this company when I disagree with how they've chosen to proceed. Someone else in another thread indicated that the only way to get them to listen was to speak with the dollars or lack thereof. Way ahead of you whoever you were :)

• Your choices already have changed. When clem is in the bathroom and the water bottle. She will ether say "oh dang" (something like that) Or she will say "oh shit" It depends on what choice you made way back at Hershel's farm when you can swear around Clem.

• With a rant as long as this, I'd expect a little constructive criticism, but you're just "going off." And the line"story is tailored by how you play" can be taken a just bit loosely. Think about it, that would mean mostly every line you pick will have their very own outcomes and can have dozens of endings which will definitely take away a whole lot if TT is going for an emotional ending, that is why I really liked what they did with the ending from season 1. And It will also take over a year to create one episode!! I'm perfectly fine with the way they're doing the game, but as I keep repeating over and over again, please make the next episode a bit longer!

• Making Clementine leave the gun in the bathroom was definitely a blunder on Telltale's part. If they absolutely HAD to murder Omid in the first five minutes, it should have been completely outside Clem's influence to change. As it is, making the gun non-clickable is a cruel and stupid way to ensure a horrible scene will happen.

• I don't know if you're butthurt or not but it's there game!!! And it's extremely realistic since clementine is 9 years old and she wasn't thinking straight. It's human science that when we know we are in danger we choose to flee or fight. It depends on age, personality and strength. Kids brains usually favor flee than fight because there not very strong usually. Since clementine is a kid she quickly decided to flee like most children would. Since her body went into panic she quickly shut the bathroom door and stood on the toilet. (Similar to what most schools and universities and work buildings do durning a lock down) and since in school kids are taught to this. Clementine may have instantly did what she was taught in her old school as they do these lockdowns all the time and flee. So these are all the reasons she didn't grab the gun.

• What about the fact that Clementine doesn't run for her gun as the scavenger slooooowly enters the bathroom? Clementine was like one or two meters away from her gun, much closer to it than the scavenger. She could have easily run for her gun and then called Omid and Christa, but Clementine decided to hide instead. Apparently the author believes that Clementine is retarded because he certainly portrays her as one ^^ Not to mention that Clementine could clearly hear the scavenger enter the bathroom, the scavenger couldn't hear Omid enter though. Completely ridiculous. Couldn't the author actually create a better scenario that actually makes sense? xD

Anyway, I don't think people have a problem that Omid was killed, the death of characters is to be expected. It's just that his death was badly written, Omid deserved a better death than this hogwash that the author created.

• His death was fine? What was bad about it? He lasted 3 episodes. That's pretty long.

• Clem panicked. Despite being taught by Lee, she's still only nine at this point. Yes, she should have jumped for the gun first, but got worried, and 'Fight or Flight' kicked in. Clearly, her reaction was 'Flight'.

• What about the fact that Clementine doesn't run for her gun as the scavenger slooooowly enters the bathroom? Clementine was like one or two meters away from her gun, much closer to it than the scavenger.

Lying for your cause? It was more than two meters. And Clem and the scavenger were both about the same distance from the gun (yes Clem probably a little closer). How do you know the scavanger isn't armed herself? Good idea running in front of the scavenger and MAYBE getting to your gun before the scavenger MAYBE could shoot you or hold you at gunpoint at least. Hiding as first instinct isn't wrong.

Alt text

If Clem had time to think, she could get the idea that her stuff on the sink is giving her presence away anyway, but hiding on first instinct is very plausible.

• The story was amazing! I could feel what Clem felt. Its the 1 episode give it a chance! Im sure episode 2 will be a blast!

• About Omid I'll just leave this here "The first main complaint is how it was bad storytelling to kill of Omid, and I don't see how people could be more wrong. Omid was a great character and it was a tragedy for him to die, though It's not bad storytelling because we felt engaged with the character and when we died it caused a surge of emotions. Sort of like Carly in Season 1. Now the events before his death also get a lot of crap like 'Why wouldn't Clem bring her gun into the stall?' Well my response is why should she? Clem had already cleared out the bathroom of walkers and she knew Omid and Christa were next door so that probably gave her a sense of security so she didn't feel like sh needed a gun for a 10 second trip into a stall. Now because we have laid the episode we know she should of but at the time she didn't think like someone was gonna come in and take her gun then proceed to shoot Omid with it. This is what I like to call realistic characters. Now back to Omid, so I don't think it's right to call his death bad storytelling, I suppose you could call it a bad idea if you want, but not bad storytelling."

On leaving the shed. She quite literally had no choice if she would have stayed she would have died. What's my reasoning? Well for one it was an open wound in a dirty world more than likely she would have caught a disease during the night and if she didn't die from more blood loss, as she almost fainted earlier because of it, a bad disease would almost indefinitely kill as she is still a child with a growing immune system, and if she idn't die, and she was sick everyone in the house would assume she was sick and turning into a zombie. Just the way I saw it

• On leaving the shed. She quite literally had no choice if she would have stayed she would have died. What's my reasoning? Well for one it was an open wound in a dirty world more than likely she would have caught a disease during the night and if she didn't die from more blood loss, as she almost fainted earlier because of it, a bad disease would almost indefinitely kill as she is still a child with a growing immune system, and if she idn't die, and she was sick everyone in the house would assume she was sick and turning into a zombie. Just the way I saw it

Of course she had to leave the shed, they wanted to stick her in there until morning (about 12-14 hours). Nobody is arguing that she shouldn't have left the shed to steal supplies and tend to her wound.

The reasoning for the group to stick her in the shed and not tend to her wound is the problem. First the group is scared shitless that she might turn, even though Clementine was begging for treatment and pleading that she was not bitten, and an hour later (MUCH earlier than planned) they suddenly aren't scared that she might turn anymore. Their reason to believe that she can't turn anymore or why they let her into the house much earlier than planned is completely unsubstantiated.

Not to mention that there really was no reason not to tend to her wound in the first place. She didn't have a fever, was begging for treatment and pleading with the group that she wasn't bitten. They could have at least tended to her wound before sticking her in the shed, that would have also actually made sense.

The group's behavior is questionable. Either they are retarded morons (they don't seem to be complete morons to me) or the author is just not a talented writer and cannot see the blatant plotholes in his writing.

• They believe she won't turn because she went through so much effort. If it was a walker bite, she would have no need to sneak in for medical equipment or to kill the walker that got in the shed, she would just not do it, because she'd know she'll die. And when they're in the house, Luke nor Nick are completely convinced it's not a walker bite. You can see Luke's worried, and Carlos relieves him by proving it's not a walker bite. They didn't tend to the wound for the reason Carlos made clear; "I'm not wasting resources on a lurker bite.", which is agreeably a cruel, yet fair judgement to make.

Personally, I think the writer has done a superb job, and a lot of people haven't really evaluated their arguments before they say them for these plotholes, as pretty much all of them I've seen have been resolved and proven wrong.

• They believe she won't turn because she went through so much effort.

If Clementine tending to her own wound "proved" to them that she wasn't bitten by a walker, then her initial begging and pleading for medical treatment so she could be on her way should've already proven it to them.

Somebody who begs and pleads for medical assistance will also tend to their own wound if they can.

Personally, I think the writer has done a superb job, and a lot of people haven't really evaluated their arguments before they say them for these plotholes, as pretty much all of them I've seen have been resolved and proven wrong.

Naw, the writer has done a terrible job. Those trying to close these blatant plotholes need to give it more effort.

• How'd they do such a bad Job when almost everyone can't tell a difference between the writing in season 1 and the writing in all that remains???

• Contrary to your claim, there are many people that have noticed that the writing is clearly inferior to that of the first season. The writing is not only inferior, it is very poor.

Just read the forums here or elsewhere and feel enlightend.

• The writing is overall similar. Stuff is always happening. You have the mean character, nice character. A dad who is defensive of his daughter. And a bad ass character. At the starting it's calm then someone dies you get lost. Find a companion. Expect in season 2 they went more into detail with getting lost and the characters are even more crazy. So I have no idea why it's worse..

• It's not the fact that she has tended to her own wound that proves it, it's the effort she goes through in order to tend it. It's like, finally starting a book you loaned from a library that has to be returned in about 15 mins (bad example, I know, but you get the idea :P), there's no point in attempting it, because you'll have to return it before you'll get anywhere near finishing it anyway. Same with Clementine, if it was a walker bite, there'd be no point in going through the effort to retrieve medical equipment, because with or without it, she'd turn regardless.

I full well agree that the writing is not as good as Season 1, but keeping in mind this is just the first episode of a five-episode season, I still think that as aforementioned, the writer has done a superb job in keeping Clem and creating an interesting new group I'm looking forward to getting to know.

• Not only that, but later, Carlos says it's definitely not a walker bite because she'd have a fever. It came afterwards, yes, but if she'd had a fever, she wouldn't have seemed too well in the shed.

• Then why did they want to stick her in the shed until morning (12 - 14 hours) to see if the fever sets in, if the doctor knew that the fever would start in an hour, if Clem was actually bitten?

No, it doesn't make any sense.

• Because Carlos didn't want to help her. Come on man. It's not that complicated of a story to follow.

1. Why did Carlos not want to help Clementine?
                    2. Why does Carlos eventually change his mind?
                    3. Why did Carlos not care if Clem dies of her infected wound?
                    4. Why does everybody follow what Carlos says like mindless drones even if it means that Clementine will die of her infected wound?
                    5. Why does the group refuse to help a little girl who pleads for medical assistance and is obviously convinced that her wound is not walker bite?
                    6. Why does the group have no problem in sentencing Clementine to death by forcing her to stay in the shed until morning (12-14 hours) so that her wound cannot be healed by simpler means (cleaning, disinfecting and stitching) anymore?
                    7. Why does the group offer to only help her in the morning (in 12-14 hours) although it is quite obvious that by that time the infection would spread very likely causing a sepsis which can only be healed with very strong antibiotics and proper medical equipment and attention?
                    8. Why does the group think that Clementine has no survival instinct and will not go through the effort of saving her own life after she begged and pleaded for medical assistance and is obviously convinced that she will not turn?
                    9. Why does the group think that Clementine is a zombie in disguise who just wants to bite them and are therfore scared shitless of her?
                    10. Why does the group send Clementine to the shed although the fever (that causes you to turn) has not set in yet, which means she can't bite and zombify anybody?
                    11. Why does the group want to shove Clementine into the shed until morning (12-14 hours), although Carlos and the rest of the group knows that if Clementine was actually bitten, then the fever (which sets in if you are going to turn) would set in after only maybe an hour?
                    12. Why does the group free Clementine from the shed after about and hour, because the fever did not set in, although they originally planned to stick her in the shed until morning?

You claim to have all the answers, so why don't you enlighten us with your wisdom instead of dropping a one-liner. By the way, "Because they are just complete and utter morons" is not an answer.

• You are allowed to think for your self you know.

1. Because then he would have yet another mouth to feed and Clem might influence Sarah in a way he don't want.
                      2. He is left with no choice since the rest of the group changes their mind.
                      3. Why should he care? He don't know her.
                      4. They don't. Pete and Luke are not happy with the decision. Likewise with Alvin.
                      5. It's not a hivemind. Some of them want her gone others don't. Didn't you play the episode?
                      6. Some of them did have a problem with this. Didn't you play the episode?
                      7. Because they didn't feel like wasting resources on some random girl.
                      8. Because you wouldn't assume a tiny girl has well evolved survival skills.
                      9. Because she has a bleeding bite mark on her arm. Didn't you pay attention at all?
                      10. Because they don't want her among themselves if she should turn so they lock her someplace where they can keep her contained. Common sense.
                      11. They don't know when she was bitten
                      12. They held a house meeting, where they discussed what to do with Clementine. Obviously the plan was altered.

Really you should try and pay more attention. You act like a person that have expereinced '2001: A Space Odyssey' for the first time.

• It's not the fact that she has tended to her own wound that proves it, it's the effort she goes through in order to tend it.

Clementine would have almost certainly died from that wound. The wound was obviously deadly, i.e. if it is not cleaned, disinfected and stitched up very soon then the infection would spread and kill her. Some hydrogen peroxide and a few bandages would most likely not help anymore at this point, you would need heavy duty antibiotics to cure the blood poisoning and stop the infection. When they stuck Clem in the shed (until morning; 12 - 14 hours) it was a death sentence, I think we can all agree upon this fact. Any human being with a survival instinct would do anything to clean, disinfect and and stitch it.

Anybody who is not a complete moron knew that the wound was deadly, sticking Clem in the shed until morning was a death sentence and also have known that a person will do anything to circumvent their apparent death sentence. What makes the group think that somebody who is obviously convinced that it is not a walker bite, and pleads for medical assistance, not go through the effort to heal a deadly wound to save her own life? I have only one answer to fill this plothole, the docotor and the rest of the group are complete and utter morons. Only problem with this theory is that they don't seem to be complete and utter morons. At this point I would like to blame it on the uninspired writing that has not been thought out well, but that only enrages some of the fans, who want to believe that everything is perfect and everything makes sense.

if it was a walker bite, there'd be no point in going through the effort to retrieve medical equipment, because with or without it, she'd turn regardless.

If it was a walker bite, then there would be no reason for her to beg and plead for medical assistance either. People who have been bitten know that they are doomed.

• What makes the group think that somebody who is obviously convinced that it is not a walker bite, and pleads for medical assistance, not go through the effort to heal a deadly wound to save her own life? I have only one answer to fill this plothole, the docotor and the rest of the group are complete and utter morons.

Or perhaps they didn't feel like having another mouth to feed and a burden to carry around.

• "If it was a walker bite, then there would be no reason for her to beg and plead for medical assistance either." Some people could, at first, be in denial at being bitten. Take Kenny for example in Season One. We knew there was no way to stop the infection on Duck, but Kenny was in denial, certain that it could be stopped, while we knew full well that wasn't going to happen. The survivors could easily believe that she was in that possible 'in denial' state, and that she was not to be completely trusted. Once she was in the shed, it would give time to let the fact sink in that she was doomed, but yet, she was still relentless to get it cleaned, showing evidence that she is probably telling the truth.

As for the fact of being put in the shed being a death sentence, that is certainly an undeniable fact - and all the more reason she needs to get medicinal help. But you can't expect to find top-notch medicinal equipment in a medium-level security place of survivors. She made do with what she could get, and though it may not have completely stopped it, it would certainly have done well and at least delayed death for longer.

As for Carlos, he has a point about waiting, that's the only sure fire way to tell whether it's a walker bite or not. In fact, when you're in the survivor house, you can hear the survivors discussing Clem's fate. If they decided they didn't want to take care of her, they could have left her in the shed for a week to ensure she would have died. Maybe Luke could have sneaked medicinal equipment to you. There's no definite way to know what would have happened had Clem stayed put.

All of that said, I have to admit, it was a death sentence going in that shed, and leaving her that long in the shed would have killed her. That is a plothole, but a minor one at that, and it nowhere near condemns the whole episode. I never even thought of it that way until you brought it up. Every single other plothole I've seen so far has been resolved, and this one may still have an answer I don't have. What annoys me is a lot of people are pointing out single, and considerably minor plotholes, then judging the whole episode based on it. It's like a film critic finding a little bit in the film they can't wrap their head around, and giving the film a 1/10 solely because of it. I'm not saying these people's arguments are insignificant by any standard, but some are making a bigger deal about it than they really should be.

• Some people could, at first, be in denial at being bitten.

If Clementine was in denial about being bitten, then she would have still went through with the "effort", as you like to put it, of stealing supplies to tend to her wound.

All of that said, I have to admit, it was a death sentence going in that shed, and leaving her that long in the shed would have killed her. That is a plothole, but a minor one at that, and it nowhere near condemns the whole episode.

I think it is a pretty major plothole, because it portrays the characters as complete morons and mindless drones.

There are also other unbelievable situations that bug me, not to mention that the characters feel underdeveloped. I never had this feeling in season one. But whatever, the damage is done, hopefully the other episodes are great so that I can forget the first episode.

• Now the events before his death also get a lot of crap like 'Why wouldn't Clem bring her gun into the stall?' Well my response is why should she?

Because after this long into the apocalypse, Clem should know better? Also, I had my Lee specifically tell Clem "always go for the gun first?"

• Did you read what I said after that as a good reason why she wouldn't need it? IF a walker came in her hiding probably would have worked until omid came, though no one suspected another survivor and she probably felt even more secure knowing Omid and Christa were next door so she wouldn't feel as big of an urge to bring her gun with her for a roughly 5-15 second adventure into a stall.

• That was when she was within striking distance of a walker. In this case, she had already cleared the room and know that Christa and Omid are right next door. Walking 10 ft from your gun to retrieve something in a room you know is safe seems like a pretty reasonable thing to do. Her mistake here was not going for her gun when the girl came in, but I guess she was just caught off guard and panicked. It happens. I forgive her.

This discussion has been closed.