Menu
User Avatar Image

All of my Season 1 saves are not showing up? (Mac)

posted by Team_Purple on - Viewed by 547 users

I tried to open the Walking Dead through steam, but it crashed. I restarted my computer and tried again. This time, it went through and I got to my saves, but all three of them are asking to start a new game. I went to see if my saves were actually still in my computer, and they were, they just weren't showing up in the actual game. I've been looking around, and I am almost positive it is something wrong with my prefs.prop folders, seeing as I have multiple of them. Also to note, I had been playing the previous night and it was working just fine.

I am on a Mac computer.

Here is my information from the support tool: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bzgqms

Any help is very very appreciated. Thank you!

2 Comments
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

The crash corrupted your prefs.prop. That's why the game can't access your savegames anymore.
    Unless you have a proper backup (e.g. Time machine) the progress is lost.

Luckily you seem to have used one of my workaround scripts on the 10th of July and it created prefs.prop backups at that time. By restoring them you'd only lose part of the progress, not everything. It's a bit complicated to do though.

First we should clean up.

You can navigate to the folders by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path into it.

Please delete the prefs.prop (only those, not the renamed ones) from
    /Users/Admin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/Pack/WalkingDead106/
    /Users/Admin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/
    and
    /Users/Admin/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

Then you need to find a working prefs.prop from the backups.
    A promising candidate is prefs.prop.orig in
    Just rename it to prefs.prop

Then start the game, and check what save slots exist, and if the stats are there for all episodes that it thinks you have played.

If that prefs.prop is no good, you can try the prefs.prop.orig in /Users/Admin/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/
    by copying it to
    and renaming the copy to prefs.prop
    This one is smaller though, so it's most likely even earlier in the game.

This discussion has been closed.