Menu
User Avatar Image

Top 3 Reasons Why Killing Clem is a Stupid idea

posted by Gene93 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I remember back when ep 2 was released. My cousin will always tell me, how Clem has to be the best kid in a video game. I didn't believe him kids in video games is either whining, annoying, or a brat. So I finally downloaded the season pass, after my cousin keeping bugging me to see this Clementine. And man was he right, as soon as Clem start helping Lee push the desk I felt them feels...dat music :(. So now that season 2 is out. People start predicting that Clem will die at the end, and here's my top 3 reasons why thats a stupid idea.

1.It will make Season 1 pointless-The main point of s1 is Lee teaching this little girl how to survive, while keeping her humanity during the zombie apocalypse. Killing her in s2 will make all our choices pointless all them restarts,should it kill him?, and teaching her to shoot. Just to let her die in the second game.

2.Cheap Shock Value-Telltales knows they have us my the neck. Killing Clem will no doubt be a tear jerker and a Oh Shit ending. I knowTWD "no one is safe" I don't aspect Clem to come out of s2 without scars. But killing 2 of your protagonists in a round is a little 2 predictable, and a cheap why to try to top s1 ending.

3.To Predictable-Like I said in reason 2 people who watch ,read, or play TWD. Knows how sometimes zombie lore is so predictable. The comics and the TV show are a great example "I bet he/she dies" and man was I right. We seen this thousands of times the main character, or most cared about character dies just to keep the people watching or reading. Piz Telltale be original

61 Comments
  • I once loved Lee...And then he was dead.But i agree with you...In some parts...Alt text

• The only reason I don't think they'd kill her is because it would probably feel way too similar to what happened to Lee in Season 1, and I don't think Telltale would try to pull the same trick twice in a row.

I don't think people caring about her or making Lee's death meaningful keeps her safe at all. This is The Walking Dead. No one is safe. Sometimes people die in ways that aren't particularly meaningful. If anything, the fact that people care about her so much seems to make it more likely that something bad will happen to her. What does it matter if they kill off someone who no one cares about? But when they kill a beloved fan favorite, then it's a shocking, emotional moment.

Of course, right now, Clem is pretty much the glue that ties the whole series together. If they were to kill her, they'd probably have to introduce someone or something else to replace her that would keep fans personally invested.

• Interesting point magodesky and Tobi. In a relatively short period of time the Clementine character has become a franchise cornerstone which has transcended beyond video games. Almost bigger than life. Her rise was historically unprecedented and the fact that she positively connected with fans in such a deep profound manner means that anything other than her survival would be an incredibly high risk move on many levels. To me the risk does not outweigh the reward. I would hypothetically equate this with Marvel killing Spiderman or DC killing Batman. You just don't kill the star which has brought their corporation vast amounts of revenue, industry awards, and publicity without a very serious reason.

• The thing is, I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with that analogy. A big part of the problem with the Marvel and DC universes is that nothing really ever has any lasting consequences. They've grown stagnant. You know nothing's going to happen to Spider-Man or Batman because the publishers aren't going to do anything to jeopardize their biggest cash cows. And if anything major does change, it's probably going to be undone within a few issues. The Walking Dead succeeded largely by bucking that trend. Kirkman created a universe where actions do have consequences and even a fan favorite could die at any time.

Now I'm not saying that Telltale should kill off Clementine on a whim. She's a very important character who pretty much serves as the single common thread between the two seasons. But I would hate to see them start pulling their punches just because everyone loves Clem. They should do what's right for the story, even if that means killing a character we care about.

• You're right about the Marvel and DC universe and the unending consequences. Perfect example with DC was with the death of Superman at the hands of Doomsday years ago. His "death" certainly stirred a lot of interest and revitalized the franchise. His "rebirth" subsequently set the tone for many more superheroes coming back from the grave (i.e Superior Spiderman now Amazing Spiderman again)

A better analogy would probably be if Daryl Dixon died on the tv show. While anything is possible in TWD universe where death is truly permanent I honestly cannot see him dying unless AMC/Kirkman had a seriously good reason for doing so. After all the bottom line are ratings and revenue and DD/Clem are very popular cash cows. Money talks......

• Clementine is too important to the story, this game is literally about her life, like the show/comics are about Rick's. Plus too many people love her. killing her is the same as murdering the story; no Clem, no walking dead season 3. It wouldn't feel the same without her.

• I ever knew the pizza was create in italy xD the greece did pizza after we....That is what i knew

• I didn't think Lee would die, so that was sort of unexpected to me. But i agree killing off clem would sort of be anti-clamtic at this point unless it happens very early on (like episode 2)

TTG are going to have to move on from Clementine at some point if they are going to continue to do seasons of the game. She doesn't have to die, but they are going to have to shift the focus away from her and onto a new person. They cant turn her into Solid Snake or Super Mario or anything. It just wouldn't work in the type of aesthetic the game built.

• Agree all hard work put into season 1 to develop clem into the girl she is now and having done it with s1 definitely predictable and poor writing the twist i want is she gets bitten but survives and turns out might be the cure have shock and emotional value, good twist and clem stays alive plus all your work is s1 seems vital in developing the saviour of human race so epic

• Let's see:

"1.It will make Season 1 pointless"

In season 1 we played Lee for 5 episodes before he was killed. Lee, as in the protagonist. The player character. But yet no one felt like it was pointless to play him. A game has not as a self-contained purpose to always carry over to the sequel or following season - after all, TWD could have ended right there if the sales had been bad since companies care about revenue first and production second, and TTG is no different.

"The main point of s1 is Lee teaching this little girl how to survive, while keeping her humanity during the zombie apocalypse. Killing her in s2 will make all our choices pointless all them restarts,should it kill him?, and teaching her to shoot. Just to let her die in the second game."

Sure, we teach Clem all those things. But we also built rapport with a lot of people including the fan favourite Kenny, and they where whacked. Learning something is not a foolproof way of surviving, otherwise we would still have intact armies blowing away zombies, but we don't. And somehow, I think even a weekend warrior is better at surviving than a kid.

"2.Cheap Shock Value-Telltales knows they have us my the neck. Killing Clem will no doubt be a tear jerker and a Oh Shit ending. I knowTWD "no one is safe" I don't aspect Clem to come out of s2 without scars. But killing 2 of your protagonists in a round is a little 2 predictable, and a cheap why to try to top s1 ending."

On the contrary. Killing Clem would indeed invoke those tropes mentioned, but it would also help hammer down the message that kids do not wear plot armour in TWD. It would underline the gravity of the situation.

"3.To Predictable-Like I said in reason 2 people who watch ,read, or play TWD. Knows how sometimes zombie lore is so predictable. The comics and the TV show are a great example "I bet he/she dies" and man was I right. We seen this thousands of times the main character, or most cared about character dies just to keep the people watching or reading. Piz Telltale be original"

Or, follow the comic's intent and kill her off as is tradition. I think it's a great way to introduce new characters to the group any way, and it keeps group dynamic alive to have people get offed regularly.

So yeah. I do hope Clem dies at the end of S02E05 and that we possibly get another protagonist for a possibly third season. But don't expect me to buy another season pass.

• Huge fan uproar or not Telltale will tell the best story they can. If they kill Clem GOOD ! If they don't still good. Whatever is the best way for the story to go I know it will be great. So stop freaking out and let Telltale do their JOB!

• Fucking hell no. Look at how pissed people got at Mass Effect 3's ending. That's pretty much sunk THAT franchise, can't see Bioware making a recovery from that. Killing Clem would be TWD's version of it and it would most likely kill any future games.

Add Comment