Menu
User Avatar Image

All about Kenny.

posted by KatLady3 on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Let me know if this is a post that already exists and if so my apologies. I know he's discussed amongst everyone through out different threads, but I was curious what you all thought because I am torn myself.

When I play I can't help but be loyal to the end with people. Kenny is definitely one of them. He is becoming unstable though, understandably. If this were real life I would be dead from heart ache alone if I endured what Kenny has had to deal with, but he still manages to snap out of it when needed. So I think due to my loyalty if I had to choose Luke or Kenny I wouldn't think twice to pick Kenny (Unless he did something super crazy that changed my mind). What are you guys thinking?

249 Comments
  • I would pick Kenny because he's Lee's best friend

• Yea, Ken is a good guy, but is starting to lose it a little bit and becoming a liability. If I'm gonna choose someone who Clem survives with, I need to make sure their sanity is OK. I know the people on this thread love Kenny the same way they do with Daryl from the TV series so just hear me out. And I'm 90% sure we gonna see him die in the season finale. Maybe a sacrifice?

• Pretty easily Kenny. Luke is a somewhat nice guy and all.. but that's about where he ends with me.

• I would pick Kenny though I don't think he will survive two seasons.

• I would rather have luke watching my back than kenny

• Not sure how interested Luke is in doing that, considering he stopped doing that for a chance to have a good time with Jane.

• Kenny does worse plus he's losing it

• User Avatar Image
        Kennysucks BANNED

Kenny sat around crying in a tent the whole episode over a girl hes known for about a year, Luke lost his friend of twenty years and the girl he loved left him yet he was still the one putting others before him (he was willing to go without food for three more days despite his condition just to make Rebecca more comfortable, he also ran through the herd after Sarah which was a huge risk as he easily could have been bit)

• Kenny sat around crying in a tent the whole episode

Umm... no? Is that really all you think Kenny did that episode?

over a girl hes known for about a year, Luke lost his friend of twenty years and the girl he loved left him

So hypocritical that you're downplaying Kenny's relationship with Sarita yet bring up Luke losing Jane, a girl who he knew for around 24 hours, as if it is something of substance. You can't give Luke credit for being strong about losing a girl who he knew for a day and then criticize a man for grieving because of losing his partner who had known for one year. If you think Kenny should have been able to shrug Sarita's death off, then Luke losing Jane means pretty much nothing at all.

As for Nick, it honestly didn't seem like Luke was very close to him at all. He actually seemed pretty indifferent for around 90% of the time that Nick was alive. Anyway, it really doesn't matter though. Kenny was able to put his grief aside and help out the group. Not sure why you chose to ignore this.

(he was willing to go without food for three more days despite his condition just to make Rebecca more comfortable, he also ran through the herd after Sarah which was a huge risk as he easily could have been bit)

You seem to be thinking that I am saying that Luke has never done anything good for anyone. I have never said anything like that.

• User Avatar Image
            Kennysucks BANNED

Umm... no? Is that really all you think Kenny did that episode?

I will admit that he did help give birth to the baby which I do appreciate but while everyone else was getting much needed food, water, shelter, winter clothes, as well as meds he was having a world class hissy fit in the corner.

So hypocritical that you're downplaying Kenny's relationship with Sarita yet bring up Luke losing Jane, a girl who he knew for around 24 hours, as if it is something of substance. You can't give Luke credit for being strong about losing a girl who he knew for a day and then criticize a man for grieving because of losing his partner who had known for one year. If you think Kenny should have been able to shrug Sarita's death off, then Luke losing Jane means pretty much nothing at all.

As for Nick, it honestly didn't seem like Luke was very close to him at all. He actually seemed pretty indifferent for around 90% of the time that Nick was alive. Anyway, it really doesn't matter though. Kenny was able to put his grief aside and help out the group. Not sure why you chose to ignore this.

Luke lost his best friend of twenty years and had found someone who he thought cared about him only to leave without even saying bye showing that she really didn't give a shit about his feelings, all i'm saying is that in the whole Luke vs Kenny thing, Luke seems to be way better at handling situations like this which happen a lot in the zombie apocalypse. Considering Luke and Nick had a stable friendship for over twenty years and that Nick was open to Luke about being suicidal and depressed shows a lot of trust between the two, I'm pretty sure that most people don't tell just anyone about their personal life issues so clearly they are very close friends. Not to mention Luke seemed to know a lot about Pete and who he was as a man, and the only way he would really know a lot of stuff about his friends uncle is if he was with his friend a lot. Also I don't really get how Kenny put his grief aside to help the group, he threw a tantrum all day and finally decided to help, meanwhile Luke didn't even let his grief get in the way of helping out.

You seem to be thinking that I am saying that Luke has never done anything good for anyone. I have never said anything like that.

I understand that but considering this thread is mostly Luke vs Kenny, I would assume most people fighting for Team Kenny think he has done better than Luke.

• Kenny and Lee have an amazing bromance. I chose to side with Kenny most of the time, but with reasonable taste to Luke, because he doesn't deserve the hate he gets from people.

• Kenny lost my support in s1e3. First willing to let some woman, who had done nothing to him, be ripped apart by walkers, then willing to let Lee die, then willing to let Lilly stay behind to die at the motel.

Yeah, real stand up guy that Kenny. I just wish karma would catch up to him already.

• I agree unless you side with him like 100% he's a total dick

• I have never agreed with him 100% and he has always been reasonable to me.

• Hmm i only disagreed with him a couple times and essentially told me to go fuck myself when it came down to saving clem

• I'm assuming they were some pretty major disagreements then? Such as the meat locker situation?

• No, If you don't save his son in episode 1 he will not come with you without saying that familiy is everything and stuff. A pretty stupid design choice because he was not even mad at us after that.

• User Avatar Image
              Flog61 BANNED

In my playthrough where I sided with Kenny all the time except regarding ben and the fact that he hit me in the face on the train, he still didn't give me a 'bro speech' and I had to actually convince him to save a little girl's life.

Like, he punched me in the face and I refused to let someone die, and that's why he needed convincing. That's pretty 'shady' m89.

• There had to have been more to it than that.

• User Avatar Image
                  Flog61 BANNED

I literally sided with him at every opportunity I could.

I made a specific playthrough, because I thought it would be fair, to see what would happen if I was a sucky-up friend of Kenny throughout the game.

And he still refused to save Clem initially.

• Could have been a glitch I suppose.. I don't know why else that would happen.

• User Avatar Image
                      Flog61 BANNED

Something happens which paints Kenny in quite a bad light and it's a glitch? Yeah okay.

I think him punching me instead of talking him down is probably supposed to turn him against me, as was refusing to carry out his wish for Ben to die.

• Its possible that it glitched. Certainly not out of the question. I have never seen such a low amount of disagreeing with him cause him to not give you the bro speech at the end.

Are you really sure there isn't anything you are forgetting..? Did you make him shoot Duck? I'm assuming you helped him finish off Larry in the meat locker.. right?

• That decision is definitely bugged. I've done three Bro Kenny playthroughs and I had one where he refused to help. The only thing I did different was killing Andy St. John so I don't know what the hell happened there. I honestly have no idea what determines Kenny liking you.

• User Avatar Image
          Flog61 BANNED

This isn't just about personal experience though. To see who he really is as a person, we have to look at all the evidence, not just the way he acted to one particular person.

Like, the fact that he can refuse to save a little girl's life and can (and usually does) leave Lee to die under a door tells us way more about him as a person than him being civil in some guy's playthroughs.

• No one is arguing that the guy has no flaws. Making a few questionable decisions does not have to make him a bad person.

• User Avatar Image
              Flog61 BANNED

Nor am I arguing that he is a bad person.

But people kind of are arguing he has no flaws: if you haven't noticed, on this forum if you mention one negative thing Kenny has done, people try to justify it.

I believe he is flawed. It's whether his fans really do that I doubt, because they defend him at every possible opportunity.

You are the only Kenny fan I have seen admitting he has flaws, and actually NAMING those flaws instead of just pretending you think it. For that, I have a great deal of respect for you.

• Yes! He has many flaws. Which is why I posted this in the first place. Every character has their flaws in the game. In the circumstance that their in, with the zombies... it is so hard to know what the right choice is and who the right team is! I get torn with Kenny because I don't think he is the best guy. He has got a hot temper that flares up quickly and he's got his mind made up about things and is hard to break from "His Way" which can often work in the teams favor because he comes off confident and passionate, but I feel like there is still something that makes me hesitant to side with him completely. I wish I knew the other characters a bit more to really know who i'd want to team with. Maybe we wont even get a choice! Thanks for you're posts.

• Thanks.

I don't really know why people would argue against him having flaws. I suppose some people are simply too defensive. I mean.. basically every character in the game has some flaws/ has had them in the past. It doesn't necessarily have to be a damning thing, and I think some Kenny fans should realize that.

That being said, I do feel like there are other Kenny supporters around here who are reasonably objective. Rock, Tinni, and Saltlick to name a few.

• User Avatar Image
                  Flog61 BANNED

Because some people have latched onto him , that's why. They assume everything he does is right, and so in their playthroughs automatically side with him without thinking why.

I strongly believe that anyone who actually THINKS while playing will see that Kenny has at least one or two flaws.

But mentioning them on this forum, particularly when downvotes were around, was to commit social suicide.

Rock is awesome. I don't know Tinni. And it depends which 'Saltlick' forumite you mean, as there are several, but I can't remember having a balanced discussion with any of the saltlick parade.

• First willing to let some woman, who had done nothing to him, be ripped apart by walkers

She was bitten and going to die anyway. Why should he have put Lee and himself in danger just so she could die a more ideal death?

then willing to let Lee die

Yeah, this is the one thing that he has done that I really do not like. It is worth mentioning that this is determinate though.

willing to let Lilly stay behind to die at the motel

You're talking about the bandit attack right? His son and wife just got tackled by a walker, its kind of understandable that he wanted to get out of there in a hurry. Lilly was given more than enough time to get down to the RV. I'm guessing based on prior conversations with Lilly about the motel he assumed that she didn't want to abandon it.

• User Avatar Image
        Flog61 BANNED

I agree with you for most of that post, but you're mistaken on the last point.

He doesn't just leave because he's in a rush. He actually says 'Let's leave this crazy bitch behind'. EDIT: I was mistaken there, he actually says 'Screw her, let her stay' - but the point remains as valid.

He was trying to leave Lilly behind in the motel.

• He doesn't say that at the motel... he says that after she shoots Carley/Doug in the head. Or am I mistaken..?

• User Avatar Image
            Flog61 BANNED

I was wrong, he says that after shooting.

But he does say 'screw her, let her stay' when leaving. Which shows he didn't just leave because he was i na rush: he would have waited for others.

• Actually he only says "Screw her, let her stay!" during the bandit attack when Lee calls to Lilly to get in the RV. He only calls her a crazy bitch and demands that she be left behind after Lilly shoots Carley/Doug on the side of the road. Though he still probably wouldn't have cared if she hadn't managed to make it to the RV during the attack.

• User Avatar Image
            Flog61 BANNED

True. I misremembered, but my point still stands. He is openly fine with abandoning a woman who just tried to save their lives.

• I always viewed that as a more pragmatic "We're not waiting around in the middle of this warzone just so she can get in" kind of thing. It's certainly not one of his finer moments (And I actually said "Screw you" out loud when he said it. That was the point in the game where I had been having enough of Kenny) but looking back I can't say I hate him for it. There were good reasons for leaving her behind if she wasn't going to come down to the RV herself. Remember that even Lee was prepared to leave her behind, as he said "Lilly, last chance, get down here," just before the group left.

• User Avatar Image
                Flog61 BANNED

But when 'she can get it' is actually a choice between abandoning a woman who just tried to save all of you and waiting out of respect, it's still all a bit dodgy.

I was annoyed when Lee said that, but it represents the gradual forcing of alignment of Lee towards Kenny and away from Lilly after we'd been allowed to like either in episodes 1 and 2.

I still view it as more of a warning to speed her up rather than something Lee actually wanted to do. Unlike Kenny who literally drives away.

• I very much doubt that Lee actually wanted to leave Lilly, but he recognized that if she didn't snap out of it then they would have to leave her. As I said, it's certainly not one of Kenny's finer moments but I feel that the situation they were in warranted that kind of action if Lilly had waited any longer, no matter Kenny's reasons for it. There were walkers and bandits everywhere so waiting out of respect could have gotten yet another person killed as Duck had been bitten before they were even ready to leave. And I don't think he actually outright wanted to leave her, but he just didn't care if she didn't make it into the RV in time. That in itself is not good and was yet another step in Kenny's descent into darkness in Season 1, but I don't think he was actually trying to cut her loose from the group.

And I'm not trying to blame Duck's bite on Lilly, the RV wasn't even ready to go by the time he got chomped so they couldn't have escaped anyway.

• User Avatar Image
                    Flog61 BANNED

Well, all of their people apart from Lilly were in the truck when he tried to drive away. SO it can't really be that 'if we don't leave Lilly right now, Lilly might bet bit!' as it's kinda paradoxical.

I don't blame the bite on Lilly, that's basically impossible.

I don't think he was trying to cut her loose, but I think he was acting as if he didn't care whether she lived or died, which is arguably just as bad for a woman who was doing her best to keep them all alive.

• It's not about Lilly getting bitten or not, it's about the rest of the group. Waiting for Lilly could have gotten someone else killed if she hadn't snapped out of it when she did. Again though, he probably wouldn't have batted an eye whether she'd made it to the RV or not and that's not a good thing.

This is exactly what I'm saying. Kenny just didn't care if she got in or not, and that's not cool. If the situation hadn't been as dire as it was then I'd probably look on this in a more negative light, but given everything that was going on (bandit raid, walkers) I can't really say that leaving Lilly would have been the wrong thing to do if she hadn't snapped out of her trance and run to the RV when she did.

• User Avatar Image
                        Flog61 BANNED

Hmm, well I'm not sure someone would have died due to them being all in the RV and the only real enemies being walkers as the bandits were either dead by then or more concerned with killing the walkers than the people. No no risk of bullets really. But I take your point.

And I agree with the rest. But he did start to drive away when she had already started running. He could have waited a bit while she was running instead of driving off.

• He could have waited, but like we've agreed: He didn't care if Lilly was left behind or not. He was willing to leave people behind, and while that may sometimes be necessary in survival situations, Kenny didn't really show any remorse. That's bad.

• Let's leave this crazy bitch behind

Well, in hindsight, I find it extremely hard to disagree with him... RIP Carley...

Telltale should really have made this a choice.

• User Avatar Image
            Flog61 BANNED

That's metagaming.

Kenny didn't know Lilly would shoot carley or whatever in order to try to protect the group. He just tried to abandon her.

In retrospect he should have left her. In retrospect he shouldn't have killed her father. In retrospect he should have made absolutely sure duck wouldn't get bitten and stay with him for the entire ordeal.

There's no point using the future as justification for past decisions except when they are truly directly related. That is to say, a decision like 'We don't have enough food' and then getting more food.

• I wouldn't exactly call saving a girl from experiencing a horrible agonizing death as giving her a "more ideal death". That's sugarcoating it. I doubt it would have gone down well with Kenny if we decided to treat Sarita as walker bait like that when she was bitten..

And how many times did Kenny and Lee make a trip into town? It's nothing they couldn't handle.

And the other points Flog has already addressed. Better than I could anyway.

• I put up with him all through episode 2, eventhough I agreed to help Lily gaining his anger, but I think he really started losing me in ep3 also when that door fell on my Lee and Kenny was about to walk away. I was like, "WTF! You did not just almost walk off and leave me to die!"

• Yeah, I didn't have a problem with him either in the first two episodes, even in the meat locker I got where he was coming from. And I'm more than willing to forgive the way he acted after Duck was bitten.

It's the first half of episode 3 pretty much in it's entirety that made me dislike the man.

• First letting some woman who had done nothing to him, be ripped apart by walkers.

Um, she was already bitten, what could they have done? she's dead either way so may as well use that short time she has left to their advantage

• Kenny all the way, there is no doubt about it..

Add Comment