Menu
User Avatar Image

Why people would choose between great stories and great graphics?

posted by Guybrush_Threepwood on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

After arguing with a lot of other Monkey Island fans, this question's being haunting my mind.
As soon as I asked for better graphics, people said that they prefer a game which is funny, humorous, with a great gameplay and a great story.
What I'm asking for is this: WHY do you think great graphics exclude every other aspect we know and love in the MI series?
Why do you always choose between graphics and story, graphics and gameplay, graphics and humour etc.?
What I love most about MI is certainly something that prescinds from graphics, but I don't see the reason why a great MI game shouldn't have great graphics.
One of the answers I mainly received was: "MI would be crap with Crysis graphics, stop asking for realism".
No one among us complaining ever asked for realism, don't you know the beautiful cartoony stile that can be obtained with great graphics?
No one's ever be speaking of realism.
Sure, I'd like the MI sea to look more like a sea, does this mean I'm not a "real" fan?
Some of you weren't even born when I was playing MI1 for the first time, so I don't understand where this kind of who-cares-of-graphics-doesn't-love-adventure-games came out from.
We the hardcore fans want just the best of the best for a MI game, so the complaining about the graphics is perfectly normal.
I think that a game, to be considered "great", must be great under every aspect, including graphics.
A great game is even greater with great graphics.
The paradox is that some of you consider great graphics like a flaw.
I agree when you all say "first other things, then graphics".
Well, OK, other things are there, we're all glad to see MI back.
Now, it's graphics' turn.

Edit: here's a simple example of awesomeness.
attachment.php?attachmentid=91823

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Xocrates, really? I mean just /facepalm.

• Because games cost money to make and adventure games are a niche genre. Posters here need to realize this reality and be content with what they get - they need to learn the difference between the things that can be changed and can't. Episodic gaming for Telltale won't work with super detailed graphics - it wouldn't ship fast enough. Writing is cheap, hi-def graphics are expensive and time consuming. Why do you think episodic gaming has failed for everyone but Telltale and the adventure game genre? There's a reason my friend.

Yelling and screaming with over exclamation like that does nothing but make you look like a rambler and fails to enforce your point. It makes you look unreasonable.

• @aleny2k said: , diablo 1&2

Dude, Diablo 2 graphics were famously outdated. I actually know people that didn't play the game because the graphics were too bad.

And by the way, most of those games sold well because they were good games, not because they had good graphics. Otherwise you can't justify that several of those (namely Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Half-life 2) are still selling very well.

And by the way, 1) WRITING LIKE THIS DOESN'T HELP YOUR POINT!!! 2) No one said that games have to choose between good graphics and good story, but they usually do for several reasons.

Xocrates, really? I mean just /facepalm.

What?

• @aleny2k said:

why must a game with good graphics have a really bad storyline?????!!!!

or why must a game with bad graphics have a good storyline????!!!!!

A game can have fantastic graphics and a great story, just look at Bioshock. But then Bioshock sold millions, the developers had the budget to spend a fortune on creating highly detailed models and textures. So if you want it all, keep your eye out for mainstream games.

If you want a graphics adventure though, budgets are inevitably going to be lower. Lets say Telltale were to make a game as detailed as the screen shown. Odds are they'd have enough resources to make a Lechuck model, a Guybrush model and a single screen. It would take some pretty incredible writing to make a good story with those limitations. I think it's far better they stick to their cheap 3d models so we can get a story spread over 5 islands.

• @Xocrates said: What?

You got so crushed in this discussion and yet you keep on going, arguing stupid points, just making stuff up and just defending yourself because you can't let go. That's why I /facepalm.

• @onlyamonkey said: You got so crushed in this discussion and yet you keep on going, arguing stupid points, just making stuff up and just defending yourself because you can't let go. That's why I /facepalm.

What?

EDIT: Allow me to elaborate. If it any point I insisted in a particular point, it was because I was trying to have an interesting discussing, since I felt that was the reason of the thread. And what stupid points? All I said was that better graphics cost money while not making for a better game and still raising hardware requirements. All facts. I never even argued that a better looking MI wouldn't be nice, I argued against the need and advisability of such.

I don't see how I could have been defeated since I never did more than express an opinion.

Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I'm retarded.

• @Xocrates said: What?

I'm pointing out that I know that you knew your position was so weak in the discussion you deliberatly pretended not to understand at one point- and also to add that you were just arguing for the sake of arguing and that your points were hollow.

• @onlyamonkey said: I'm pointing out that I know that you knew your position was so weak in the discussion you deliberatly pretended not to understand at one point- and also to add that you were just arguing for the sake of arguing and that your points were hollow.

What position? If you're talking about the "should" thing, then I never pretended it was an argument in the first place. The argument that started from there was as stupid and pointless as the one that we are having now and has no bearing in the in the thread at hand.

Let's just agree to disagree.

• Umm... I... I like the graphics...

• @Xocrates said: What position?
    Let's just agree to disagree.

You never pretended it was an argument in the first place? You repeatedly tried to make a point you knew was silly. It was very clear what he meant.

I'm not playing your kinda games sorry, I'm not gonna keep on "discussing" when you choose what you want to understand and purposely will argue just for arguing- that's a waste of time. I just entered the thread, read through it, and pointed out you were full of it.

Add Comment