Cannot download E4 - usual workaround not working

Dear reader/Telltale,

For every single new episode that has been released thus far, I have had to force the game to download by moving my save folder and replacing after reopening the application (playing on PC). I even had to manually download the patch. This time, however, it's not working. I move the folder, load the game, I get the splash screen, I 'click to begin' then the screen goes blank and all I can see is the cursor.

I do not have this problem when I load the game with my save folder in tact, but of course then the DLC doesn't fire.

My specs are fine. More than fine. My network is fine. So what have you guys messed up now?

EDIT: By the way, has anyone else noticed the misspelling in the support URL? 'gameofthornes'

Comments

• when you fix it help the others like me

OK. I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Before doing so I created a system restore checkpoint in case it makes thi

• OK. I have just uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Before doing so I created a system restore checkpoint in case it makes things worse. I also, beforehand, made a copy of my save folder so that I can replace my choices.

I've now opened the reinstalled game and it appears I am able to download episode 4. Currently at 3% (it seems slower than usual). When the downloading is completed (fingers crossed) I will replace my save folder, open the game, and report to you all.

• edited May 2015

OK last I checked the progress was at 92% then it read 'failed to download content'. There are other reports of this happening at around 97%. Damn. Any retries are just saying 'failed to download content' from the off.

• edited May 2015

Same happens to me. At my first try the download stopped working at 97%. I reinstalled the game and it works for me. Maybe you should give it a try and reinstall the game.

Edit: Sorry now I see you already tried to reinstall the game and it didn't work for you. Seems to be really random issue.

OK last I checked the progress was at 92% then it read 'failed to download content'. There are other reports of this happening at around 97%. Damn. Any retries are just saying 'failed to download content' from the off.

• Weird. Upon restarting the game it said the episode was already downloaded, and would I like to install it?
    If this happens to you, do not install the episode until you have replaced your save folder. Otherwise you will need to selectively copy all E4 files from one to the other.

I am now about to play the episode!

• How do I download the new episode? It is still saying 'coming soon' for me. Everytime before it has automatically updated, please help :) I am very eager to play it. Thanks for any replies with suggestions

• I'm having the exact same problem (PC version via Steam).

lindblom posted: »

How do I download the new episode? It is still saying 'coming soon' for me. Everytime before it has automatically updated, please help I am very eager to play it. Thanks for any replies with suggestions

• I already told you how I did it.

How do I download the new episode? It is still saying 'coming soon' for me. Everytime before it has automatically updated, please help I am very eager to play it. Thanks for any replies with suggestions

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff

@lindblom and @Denngar If you are playing the Steam version of the game, Steam will automatically start the update with Episode 4 included in the download. If you have not received the update, I recommend try closing Steam completely by right clicking on the Steam symbol at the bottom right of your desktop, and clicking Exit. Then restart Steam and wait a few minutes, and the Game of Thrones update should begin downloading on your computer.

@ladyraventree You should not need to alter any game files in order to download and install new episodes. If you are experiencing any issues downloading Episode 4 there may be an older out of date file causing this issue. It appears that you are now able to play the episode, but could you please clarify what the issue you were having was, when attempting to download the game? Did the episode say 'Coming Soon' in the Episodes menu? Was there an error message when you attempted to download the episode? Did the download fail during the downloading process, or output an error after it had completed?

@joethebro My apologies, what part of the Episode download process are you currently unable to complete? Are you able to see the episode as available to download, but are unable to completely download and install it, or are you receiving an error message during the process?

joethebro posted: »

when you fix it help the others like me

• Man this is just lame. Feels like TT doesn't have enough download capacities. I am trying to install the episode and the bytes come in bit by bit. I am having 6% now. After more than on hour waiting time. I've got cable Internet here. 100MB normally comes in in less than a minute.

• And again a problem with downloading the new episode... what's going on? Still "Coming soon" and I'am not playing Steam version.
    Should I download and reinstall the entire game? Again?
    If you can't fix it now, you should enable to manually download the only 4th episode with instruction where to move it.

We have resolved this particular issue with a server side update. Please exit/close out of the game (Make sure it is fully closed) then start the game again while connected to the internet, and the game will automatically update and allow you to successfully download and play the new episode. If it does not work the first time, you can also try restarting your computer, then starting the game again.

• It didn't help. I try to restart PC and turn off firewall, but still nothing :(

We have resolved this particular issue with a server side update. Please exit/close out of the game (Make sure it is fully closed)

• it's 20% now. Man this is just ridiculous. How big is this episode? 100GB?

Man this is just lame. Feels like TT doesn't have enough download capacities. I am trying to install the episode and the bytes com

We have had reports from other players that re-installing the Critical PC/Mac patch allows you to start the game successfully. Please try downloading and installing the PC Patch from This Thread, and you should then be able to start the game successfully, and download and play Episode 4.

Redgarex posted: »

It didn't help. I try to restart PC and turn off firewall, but still nothing

• When i do this, i see a message saying "Game of Thrones was not found on your system"

We have had reports from other players that re-installing the Critical PC/Mac patch allows you to start the game successfully. Ple

Can you please clarify if you have the game installed to the default drive/location specified when installing the game, or do you have it re-mapped/located on another hard drive?

Hydromatic posted: »

When i do this, i see a message saying "Game of Thrones was not found on your system"

• My steam folder is in my /E folder, but so is the game files.

Can you please clarify if you have the game installed to the default drive/location specified when installing the game, or do you have it re-mapped/located on another hard drive?

• This patch solved my problem, now I can download 4th episode.
    Thanks for help! :)

We have had reports from other players that re-installing the Critical PC/Mac patch allows you to start the game successfully. Ple

• Not letting me download on xbox 360 says purchased not downloaded so I click A to download then it's got episode 4 but has red no entry circle on it and won't let me download it please help

• edited May 2015

When I try to download it on my PC, it stills says coming soon for Episode 4 :(

• Telltale mike I still can't get mine please help

The Critical Patch may not be installing because you have the game installed to a secondary hard drive. I recommend reinstalling the game to your default (C:\ drive), then try re-installing the patch file to the game. After that is done, place your 'Game of Thrones' folder with your save files in the following location:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\

Then start the game while connected to the internet, and Episode 4 should update to show as available to download in-game.

Hydromatic posted: »

My steam folder is in my /E folder, but so is the game files.

I apologize for the inconvenience. The episode was not yet available when you made this post (2am). Episode 4 should now be available for Xbox 360, and you should be able to start the game while connected to the internet, and Episode 4 will update to show as available to download from in-game.

frankmac123 posted: »

Not letting me download on xbox 360 says purchased not downloaded so I click A to download then it's got episode 4 but has red no entry circle on it and won't let me download it please help

You're welcome, enjoy the game!

Redgarex posted: »

This patch solved my problem, now I can download 4th episode. Thanks for help!

Can you please clarify what platform you are playing the game on? (PC/Mac/PS3/Xbox/iOS/Android?) If you are on a mobile device, can you please clarify which device, and what OS version you are running? Also, if you are on PC/Mac, can you please clarify if you are playing the Telltale Games version, or the Steam version? After we receive this information, we will be able to assist you further.

frankmac123 posted: »

Telltale mike I still can't get mine please help

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We have made a server side fix for this issue for PC/Mac. Please close/exit out of the game completely, then also make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest Updated Critical PC/Mac Patch available for the game. After it has been installed, then start the game again, and you should be able to start the game successfully, and download the new episode and play the game.

LadyAzzar posted: »

When I try to download it on my PC, it stills says coming soon for Episode 4

• I agree I 'should not need to' do anything! But 'should' is a very interesting imperative word.
    I honestly cannot remember the step-by-step errors I encountered. As soon as I got the episode working, I stopped bothering with this thread. I published the steps I had taken to get it to work, and that - to me - was enough.

Next time I'll update more info but, knowing Tellatale, you'll release the episode at a time just before your offices close and there won't be anyone around for hours when hundreds of players are experiences issues. Which is crap customer support, in my opinion, but it has happened with every single GoT release.

@ladyraventree You should not need to alter any game files in order to download and install new episodes. If you are experiencing

This discussion has been closed.