Menu
User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island - won't start up!

posted by auerfeld on - last edited - Viewed by 16.3K users

Hi Guys,

I've just downloaded my long-awaited first episode of Tales of Monkey Island and - woe is me! - I can't even get beyond the flash screen. When I doubleclick on the game icon, the Telltale menu comes up, but with an error message giving the helpful info "unexplained error". From there, I can't get the game proper to start (or rather, something starts happening, but nothing visible and the programme seems to hang completely about 3 minutes afterwards).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but keep encountering this same problem. What am I doing wrong? I've played through Sam & Max season 2 on this PC without any problems and I'd be massively disappointed if I couldn't get this to work, for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give...

Naomi

185 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DjNDB said: A high resolution version of the earlier Picture would be useful too, because the white Sticker should identify the Mainboard Model and there are different AGP versions.

Here you go.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@adcashmo said: My bad! Thought all the slots on my PC were identical.....here are some better pics:

Great. Your Mainboard is the Gigabyte GA-7VA Rev 1.0, which features an AGP 8x slot.

Depending on the Performance you want there are different cards available, even with relatively new chip generations.
    If you can still get one of these the Radeon 3850 will give you good performance for little money. Look here for some benchmarks.

Otherwise the Radeon 4650 or 4670 would be a good choice.

It all also depends on your power supply though. Can you make a picture of the specifications written on it?

• @DjNDB said: Great. Your Mainboard is the Gigabyte GA-7VA Rev 1.0, which features an AGP 8x slot.

Depending on the Performance you want there are different cards available, even with relatively new chip generations.
    If you can still get one of these the Radeon 3850 will give you good performance for little money. Look here for some benchmarks.

Otherwise the Radeon 4650 or 4670 would be a good choice.

It all also depends on your power supply though. Can you make a picture of the specifications written on it?

Thanks for the advice!

here is my power supply.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@adcashmo said: here is my power supply.

For the 3850 it is recommended to have 30A on +12V. Yours has only 10A.
    Also some graphics card models require one or two 6 Pin power connectors.

If you pick one of these cards you might want to install a new ATX 2.3 power supply as well.

Some of the less powerful models should run without upgrading it as well though.

• @DjNDB said: For the 3850 it is recommended to have 30A on +12V. Yours has only 10A.
    Also some graphics card models require one or two 6 Pin power connectors.

If you pick one of these cards you might want to install a new ATX 2.3 power supply as well.

Some of the less powerful models should run without upgrading it as well though.

Thanks very much for the advice!

So would the 4650 and 4670 need a new power supply? I can't tell even after reading various reviews/specs etc.

Ideally I'd just like to replace my graphics card and not the power supply. will have to upgrade the rest of my PC at some stage, but I'm not that interested in having the best gaming PC. I'd just like to play ToMI.

Andy

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@adcashmo said: So would the 4650 and 4670 need a new power supply? I can't tell even after reading various reviews/specs etc.Andy

I can't tell you for sure either. It will probably work.
    Consider though that a power supply is an investment into the future. If you buy a good one you can keep it if you upgrade your system further.

• Hey, just to let you know. If that can help.

I had a problem with playing TOMI in fullscreen, but not in windowed mode (thanks to the props file in this thread, I could check that). Running Windows Seven x64.

It occured with some other games too.

I found that it was due to Comodo Firewall. it has a "Defense +" mode that does not work well under Seven (it was fine under XP). Changing it to "Training mode" before running the game solved the problem.

Hope this helps ;)

• @DjNDB said: I can't tell you for sure either. It will probably work.
    Consider though that a power supply is an investment into the future. If you buy a good one you can keep it if you upgrade your system further.

Hello again,

Thanks for all the advice.

I have just bought an ATI Radeon HD3650 (the ones you mentioned were not stocked in the shops I went to and I really wanted to go to a shop rather than use the internet so I could speak to the staff) and a G7 Power Extreme 580W power supply.

ToMI now works perfectly even on full quality graphics settings!....I'm very glad I didn't have to replace anything else.

Looks like another few years for my old PC yet!

Andy

• Hello everyone, I've just purchased ToMI from Steam but it doesn't even start the game. All I see is a little black screen and then, an error message "MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working".

No specifical error, just "stopped working". Here's what dxdiag.exe says:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish) System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. System Model: GA-MA69GM-S2H BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz Memory: 2814MB RAM Available OS Memory: 2814MB RAM Page File: 2250MB used, 2607MB available Windows Dir: C:\Windows DirectX Version: DirectX 11 DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 Manufacturer: NVIDIA Chip type: GeForce GT 630 DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0F00&SUBSYS_35441458&REV_A1 Display Memory: 3149 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1998 MB Shared Memory: 1151 MB Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (16 bit) (60Hz) Monitor Name: Monitor PnP genérico Monitor Model: Philips 221EL Monitor Id: PHLC056 Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz) Output Type: HD15 Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.3221 (English) Driver Version: 9.18.13.3221 DDI Version: 11 Driver Model: WDDM 1.1 Driver Attributes: Final Retail Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2013 21:26:04, 15230352 bytes WHQL Logo'd: n/a WHQL Date Stamp: n/a Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4C40-11CF-7D7B-49151CC2C435} Vendor ID: 0x10DE Device ID: 0x0F00 SubSys ID: 0x35441458 Revision ID: 0x00A1

Hope you can help me solving my problem. Thank you.

• User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff
    In reply to AliaMW

Hello everyone, I've just purchased ToMI from Steam but it doesn't even start the game. All I see is a little black screen and then, an error message "MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working".

link

@AliaMW I apologize for the inconvenience. Below are a few possible solutions:

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game’s icon, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

9) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

10) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

This discussion has been closed.