Menu
User Avatar Image

TWD on steam freezes & deletes save files.

posted by PutinJr on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I bought the game on steam a while back and played to chapter 2, then it froze and I had to "ctrl alt del" it. When I restarted the game my save file was lost :(
I searched for it on the internet but noone had the exact same problem as me, my game just freezes at any point and when I restart it my save files are gone.

Now, I don't care about restoring my old save files, all I want to do is be able to play this wonderful game without it freezing and deleting my files :S I hope this will either get patched or we are able to fix it somehow, want to play!

I might add that I bought a new computer this summer, so it's not that it's outdated.

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Alright. Let's hope for the best.

• After an hour or so of gameplay it has frozen 2 times, but the game saves are still there when I restart! Thank you for taking your time to help, hopefully this has been solved. I'm not bothered with the freezings as long as my files are still there.

I'll be back if I encounter any more problems :)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I suggest you backup your savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ) every now and then, just in case.

• Yup, should have done that. After 6 or so hours of gameplay it finally froze and deleted all the saves again...

Why doesn't the steamcloud work?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

The steamcloud does work, but it only syncs when you start the game, or close steam.
    If you rename the savegame folder after a crash, before it has synced the broken files to the steam cloud, you might be lucky and have it restore the savegames from the last time you closed steam.

• @DjNDB said: The steamcloud does work, but it only syncs when you start the game, or close steam.
    If you rename the savegame folder after a crash, before it has synced the broken files to the steam cloud, you might be lucky and have it restore the savegames from the last time you closed steam.

What are our assurances that this wont happen again?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Since the hardware is rather new, and the crashes appear random, it's a good idea to run some tests.

Please check if Memtest86+ shows any errors.

Testing your memory:
    In order to test your memory download http://www.memtest.org/ and make a bootable cd or disk. Start your system from that medium to run the memory test.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:

Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std 1 0

If there are errors they are shown in red as in this example:
    memtest86e.jpg

• So I should look for red? Should I write down what is red or is it saved as a file?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

No need to save or write anything down.

We just need to know if there is anything red after 1 Pass or more.

• I was having the same issue - TWD - mac os x 10.6.8 from steam
    i turned off my internet connection and now all is fine

This discussion has been closed.