Menu
User Avatar Image

Walking Dead.exe has stopped working

posted by willg721 on - Viewed by 10.4K users

I just downloaded and installed the game and I couldn't even get to the first screen. Alt text Here is my DXDiag file https://db.tt/geKI2PqP

I understand Steam keys are not given out, but if this issue is not fixed I'd recommend handing out keys. It's a big inconveincence not having overlay and being able to talk to people... Not like I can considering the game doesn't even launch for me.

57 Comments
  • Same issue just bought the game a few days ago on the steam holiday sale running windows 7 and heres the download link http://www.sendspace.com/file/mdef49

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Problem signature:
      P1: WalkingDead101.exe
      P7: c0000374
      P8: 000ce753

That exception code shows up when steam is running in compatibility mode.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
      Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
      Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

• Yeah i'm having the same problems, tried to change compatibility mode and run as admin, evidently nothing help D: Literally distraught that it doesn't work, ho hum, HELP: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3ru9tg

• ...And if it helps, in event viewer, the general description read: Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2013.4.4.20609, time stamp: 0x515df55b Faulting module name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2013.4.4.20609, time stamp: 0x515df55b Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0017a4c0 Faulting process id: 0x1198 Faulting application start time: 0x01cf17afffba2a0b Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe Report Id: 4b785a70-83a3-11e3-9175-782bcb9bd69e

• User Avatar Image
        TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

If you haven't yet, please try the registry fix.

Please open a command window (Below are instructions on how to open a command window).

Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question (to confirm the question, type “y” and press enter):

REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher”

(Please make sure when you copy the above text that you do not copy a space before or after the text, as that will produce an error message)

Please then try launching The Walking Dead again.

• Hello. I got the same problem like the other. I buyied that game 2 days ago and was so happy to run it. Then a window poped out and said The Walking Dead has stopped working http://www.sendspace.com/file/lvhkgw

• User Avatar Image

After looking over your Support Tool data, it seems that your graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements to run the game. Where we require at least 512mb to run the game, it seems your graphics card only has 64mb. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes. I recommend either upgrading your graphics card, or playing the game on a supported system.

• Am I the only one who feels it silly that we, as paying customers have to do all this work to get a product to work. A product that we paid for?!?!?

I mean really.....if I purchased a car and it had issues.....Ford isn't gonna be like "Well, pull out the carburetor and check the valves and blah blah and run this diagnostic tool and tell us what it says" NO, they fix it themselves. Seems like weak bs from telltale. Sorry for I am a lil' salty if you couldn't tell. ;)

Anyway TELLTALE FIX YO SHIZ

• Calm down, buddy. In order to fix the problem they need to know what has caused it on your own computer. That's why YOU should run the diagtool and follow all instructions. That's how the software support works. It's not a car.

• I'd previously finished the game without a hitch on my PC, and now am getting this error upon first trying to run it on my notebook -- both i5, 8GM RAM, GFX cards well over the required, running Win7 64bits.

I'm not using any controllers, neither Steam nor TWD executables were under compatibility mode, but still I tweaked with those as advised just in case, launched as admin, as well made the regedit changes as advised on previous posts. All to no effect:

Here's the diagnosis file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ihj9bh

• Tried fixes on internet, have since done full uninstall and reinstall (problems with season 1). Here's the zip, help would be great. Running/bought through steam. www.sendspace.com/file/jr8e4g
    • User Avatar Image
      I apologize for the inconvenience. If you are playing on Steam, I have a few suggestions for you.

Please first try to Verify your Cache if you purchased through Steam (https: //support. steampowered. com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335) (Links are broken at the moment, so please copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser window, and delete the spaces in the link for it to work)

Please make sure that The Walking Dead: Season One is set to 'Always keep this game up to date'. To do this, please right click on the game from within your Steam Library and go to Properties. Once in the Properties window, navigate to the Updates tab, and under the Automatic Updates section make sure that the drop down bar is set to Always keep this game up to date.

After you set the game to always update, please close down the Steam Client completely. (Please also make sure to close it if it is still open in the hidden icons in the bottom right of the screen when you click the upward facing arrow. If it is, please right click the Steam icon and click Exit.)

Once Steam is closed, please reopen it, and you should receive any of the necessary updates for The Walking Dead to work. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.
      • Both of these methods had been attempted previously along with various run as admin settings, compatibility settings, removing all usb or other external components, and disconnecting from the internet. (I have since set everything to not run in compatibility or admin as was original, and have external devices - mouse - connected). I have reverified, which says all game files are validated, and exited steam with game files set to update and updates prioritised. The game exe still crashes. (I'm running windows 8 which I forgot to mention before).
        • User Avatar Image
          We have had reports from customers that have said that upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 for free, has resolved a similar issue to what you are experiencing. If you can, I recommend upgrading to Windows 8.1 for free, and then see if you are able to start the game successfully.
          • Crashes running 8.1 as well. Acquired event viewer info if helpful.
            SUPPORT ZIP LINK: www.sendspace.com/file/jr8e4g

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2014.4.25.20794, time stamp: 0x535ae012
            Faulting module name: igdumdim32.dll, version: 10.18.10.3412, time stamp: 0x52e04932
            Exception code: 0xc0000005
            Fault offset: 0x0002e9a4
            Faulting process id: 0x340
            Faulting application start time: 0x01cf68bb9c80d1b6
            Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\WalkingDead101.exe
            Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdumdim32.dll
            Report Id: e06b9092-d4ae-11e3-be89-6036dd77c7ce
    • I am having a similar issue with my season 2 twd after episode 5 was uploaded i am unable to load the game with the error message thewalkingdead.exe stopped working

• User Avatar Image

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the game from inside Steam, and see if you are then able to start the game successfully. (To uninstall the game from Steam, right-click the game from within Steam Library, and click 'Delete Local Content', then reinstall game.)

• https://www.sendspace.com/file/67cxz9 I get the exe stopped working message after 10 mins into a chapter.

• User Avatar Image

After looking over your support tool information, you should be able to play the game successfully. Below are a few possible solutions (You may have tried a few of these, but I will post all of the potential solutions below):

1) Ensure you have the latest drivers for both your graphics card, and your computer’s BIOS

2) Restart your system

3) Unplug your gamepad (and all other USB devices other than keyboard/mouse) and plug in headphones to the audio out jack.

4) Verify your cache if you purchased through Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

5) Run the game as admin

6) Run the game in compatibility mode (right click on game’s icon, click properties, click compatibility tab , and we recommend running the game in Windows 98/ME ) (We recommend Windows 98/ME)

7) Reinstall the game

8) Make sure that the Steam application is not set to a compatibility mode (right click on steam and click properties, then check compatibility, and make sure that it is not checked to play in a different OS)

9) Disable Steam Overlay, if you purchased through Steam (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3168263)

10) Opt out of the Steam Beta, if you purchased through Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828934424165581080/)

• User Avatar Image

@Saila After looking over your Support Tool information, I cannot see any reason why you are experiencing the issue. I recommend following the above 10 possible solutions for the issue, and see if you are then able to play the game successfully.

• Can you help me please? I bought this game in the last Steam sale and it crashes everytime I click on "click to continue". This is my diag file: https://www.sendspace.com/file/79xl6w Thanks

• User Avatar Image

After looking over your Support Tool information, you should be able to run the game successfully. Please try the above 10 potential solutions that I've posted, and see if you are then able to play.

If you still experience the issue, please also try disabling any anti-virus or internet firewall programs open and running that may be blocking the game from communicating with our servers successfully.

Add Comment