User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead: Season 2 (crash log being generated on Exit)

posted by Anthony-Devianza on - last edited - Viewed by 689 users

I'm running windows 7 x64, and season one of TWD is working perfectly fine but sometime in January I started noticing Season 2 was generating crash logs under Event Viewer and Reliability History. When I exit a game, an error window doesn't pop up saying the game has crashed or anything, it exits perfectly fine. But what I have noticed is that the error log seems to be generated right before Steam sync's the game after I've exited, so it could be related to the Steam client.

I've run through the basic troubleshooting.

I verified the games integrity on Steam.. - no issues reported.. nothing was downloaded.. but crash remained...

I disconnected all of my USB devices - it didn't help

I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers - it didn't help and the latest NVidia drivers cause IE 11 to crash at times, so I highly recommend not using them, at least with the 450 GTS.

I went into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead Season Two_CommonRedist\DirectX and ran DXsetup, then after it was finished I re-started. - It didn't solve the issue either.

I ran the game in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode as a telltale tech asked me to - didn't help

I ran Steam in admin mode - no luck..

I ran the game at 1280x768 and disabled full screen mode - it didn't help..

I disabled and disconnected my Logitech USB headset - it didn't help

I disabled my onboard realtek audio - no such luck

I excluded every game I have on Steam in Nod32, my AV program - issue remained...

I ran CCleaner and cleaned my registry and also ran the cleaner getting rid of temporary files and flushing the dns - it didn't help...

I uninstalled the game, deleted all my saves.. re-installed the game and started over, the issue seemed to be fixed at first but then around the time Carver invaded the Ski lodge, the problem came back again. I then ran all of the steps above again on the fresh installation of the game - no such luck.

I disabled UAC - didn't help...

I ran the TWD support tool and here's the log/zip it created.

As I said earlier, it doesn't pop up an error window when it happens and I wouldn't have even known it was happening had I not checked the Event Viewer. But I check the Event Viewer and Reliability History daily to make sure everything is running right.

• User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please save the crash log information as a .txt file, and attach it to an email to our Support Staff at, and they will be able to send it to the proper people to try and resolve your issue.

• I did that last week and that's when one of the techs told me to do a few of the steps I listed above.

They just responded to me 20 minutes ago asking how I exit the game, and where in the Event Viewer I'm seeing the log, and I just responded to them.

Here's something that may have to do with this.

I just exited the game and got the error again, now notice how in the Event Viewer it says the game crashed at 2:35pm

*Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category Error 3/12/2014 2:35:25 PM
      Application Error 100 (100) "Faulting application name: TheWalkingDead2.exe**

I then checked the Cloud_log file under...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\logs

I scrolled to the last cloud event in the log and saw this...

[2014-03-12 14:35:31] [AppID 261030] AutoCloud is disabled. Run "testappcloudpaths 261030" in the console to enable it [2014-03-12 14:35:31] Starting sync job [2014-03-12 14:35:31] [AppID 261030] Starting sync (upload) [2014-03-12 14:35:31] [AppID 261030] Upload complete in build list

I then skimmed the entire log, AppID 261030 is the only game throwing out the "autocloud is disabled" message, and AppID 261030 is TWD Season 2. None of my other games are generating anything under the Steam_log text file.

Maybe its nothing but I find it weird that it's giving me that autocloud is disabled message in the Steam_log file, and the crash log is generated when I exit the game and Steam tries to sync it. And when the log says "Run "testappcloudpaths 261030" in the console to enable it", what console are they referring to?

• I deleted the cloud_log file and then I re-opened Steam and played State of Decay instead, which also sync's after I exit.

It re-generated a cloud_log file but under this log file, everything is smooth, there's no message about autocloud being disabled.

Both games have steam overlay enabled and neither Walking Dead: Season 2 or State of Decay sync saves on the cloud, which is something that annoys me about both games but that isn't relevant to the discussion at hand. The point is, a game with the same Steam cloud settings isn't generating that disabled message, and I find it too weird that the crash I'm getting under event viewer is happening when Steam is trying to sync after exit.

Like I said, could be pure coincidence.

• User Avatar Image
      TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

Thank you for the extra information, and my apologies for any difficulties this has caused you. I will make sure to pass it along to the Support Staff member that is helping you through email.

This discussion has been closed.