User Avatar Image

Error 101.exe

posted by Superhanik on - Viewed by 21.3K users

I know everybody complaining about it and I should just keep trying fixs but I'm no good with computers and I've tried quite a lot of fixes already but they didn't work so can someone explain it in simple terms to me? please (I bought the game on steam)

214 Comments
  • Hi.. I'm having the same error message with my new Walking Dead game "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" except it never worked in the first place.. first I was getting the missing dll file message.. d3dx9_41.dll... I updated everything and just as I though it was finally working I'm getting the new error message.. So disappointed. The game was a Christmas gift.. I've tried downloading the disc, uninstalling it and re-installing it lots of times.. Spent several hours on this and am just generally frustrated now. I don't have a lot of computer knowledge but the disc should play on my pc. It isn't super old and runs windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.

• bought the game through telltale and have been trying to get it to play reading support and trying the fixes but still got nothing running vista any suggestions

• System

• Provider

[ Name] Windows Error Reporting

• EventID 1001

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 4

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

• TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-01-06T17:52:23.000Z

EventRecordID 48172

Channel Application

Computer rholley-PC

Security

• EventData

2949017691 1 APPCRASH None 0 WalkingDead101.exe 2012.4.23.11302 4f95f664 WalkingDead101.exe 2012.4.23.11302 4f95f664 c0000005 003e8913

C:\Users\larry holley\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3459.tmp.version.txt C:\Users\larry holley\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report12127e82

• Hi,

Recently my Windows 8.1 Pro Preview (what you said may have caused a problem for me in the past) ran out so I went back to using Windows 7 64bit.

However I'm still getting the error. Interestingly I only get it upon clicking "click to continue" - and the game works fine with the internet off.

Is there any way of playing it with the internet on? I read earlier you said something about updating the bios, but on other forums people are saying updating your bios can be quite dangerous.

Just in case it's something else causing the problem here's my TWD file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/h0986n

Thanks in advance.

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Updating the BIOS is the only thing that has fixed it for some people so far. It doesn't help in every case, because it of course depends on the changes in the BIOS versions and I can't predict anything.

There are warnings about updating the BIOS, because if it fails, it can put your system into a state that's hard to recover from. Most modern Mainboards have Failsafes for that or easy recovery options, so it's not as bad as lots of years ago. It depends on the specific model how it all works though and you should read the manual thoroughly, have some computer experience and feel confident you understand what you're doing before trying things. In the easiest case it's just a matter of running a program under windows. Recovery is either automatic, or manual by booting with a BIOS file on a USB drive, CD or Disk. In the worst case recovery involves extracting and flashing the BIOS chip with special hardware, but that should be rare cases nowadays. I never had to do that in decades of updating BIOSes and only rarely (maybe 2-3 times) had any problems updating a BIOS, and if so, the recovery method worked.

If you want a different safe but crappy workaround, you can install Windows in a Vmware player Virtual Machine and run the game there. It will run a bit slower so you might have to adjust graphics settings, but at least you would be able to play online and get achievements.

I wish there was a better solution of course, but that's all I have at the moment.

• I have a problem with my TWD Game pls help me i have Windows 7 home premium and the error is when i click to start the game is crashes and says "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" and All compatibility boxes are unchecked.

• I am having this same issue where I get the WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working error.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sla9a4

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Problem signature:
      P1: WalkingDead101.exe
      P2: 2013.4.4.20609
      P3: 515df55b
      P4: StackHash_3a94
      P5: 6.1.7601.18247
      P6: 521ea8e7
      P7: c0000374
      P8: 000ce753

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
      Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
      Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
      C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\GameData\WalkingDead101.exe REG_SZ WIN98 RUNASADMIN

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
      C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe REG_SZ VISTARTM

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
      Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
      Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
      Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
      Driver Date/Size: 4/7/2010 05:22:30, 20480 bytes

Please also update your graphics driver by installing the latest catalyst software suite.

• Hi, thank you for your answer

I made the modifications but it doesn't work... :(

http://www.sendspace.com/file/15tzk6

Thanks

• just bought the game and Im experiencing the same problem

• User Avatar Image
      TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

I apologize, it seems you have uploaded the support tool itself. Please follow the instructions in the link above and download the tool and Run the tool on your computer. It will then output a .zip file that you will then upload to Sendspace.com, and copy and paste the download link to that file in a reply to this thread.

Add Comment